Government Relations Lead
Who is SpiderOak?
We want to change the world, and we’ve already done it once. SpiderOak has been building encrypted software since before the first iPhone was released.
SpiderOak is committed to building secure and reliable software that protects our customers’ data. Our approach is fundamentally different from most mainstream security companies. Instead of adding layers of security on top of an insecure system, we build software that is inherently secure.
SpiderOak builds need-to-know technology that supports customers working in hostile environments. Traditional systems trust IT infrastructure to maintain the whole security system, even though the news is rife with evidence that this model does not work. Our software combines end to end encryption with a distributed ledger (aka Blockchain) technology to offer best-in-class security with no backdoors.
What We Need
Someone who will lead “space cyber” thought-leadership to drive end-to-end requirements for effective space cybersecurity, focused on Congress through legislation, regulations, policies, and authorizations, and budget while also engaging key leadership and decision makers at DoD and DAF-level in conjunction with team.
By developing relationships with legislators (both professional staff and personal staff in relevant committees), certain offices in the Pentagon, and trade groups, you will raise awareness of our issue area and the gaps we can fill, as well as:
- Identify SpiderOak’s policy/legislative priorities
- Translate these priorities into legislation and craft bill text to deliver to the Hill
- Pass specific legislation promoting the company’s goals (either via authorization, appropriations, or ideally both)
- Defeat specific legislation that would pose challenges/restrictions
- Shape procurement requirements
Reporting to the SVP Space, you will:
- Create and execute SpiderOak’s government relations strategy, including its legislative and policy agenda, IAW the SpiderOak business and USG strategy
- Monitor legislative and executive activities to influence policy, legislation, regulations, or negotiations
- Educate policy-makers and ensure company views are reflected in policy debates and outcomes
- Build relationships with the United States Congressional professional staff members and Congress itself, Department of Defense and other key federal Executive Branch agencies, Intelligence Community, and international agencies
- Succinctly and capably translate technical capabilities, product offerings, and market opportunities
- Monitor authorization and appropriations, influencing where possible and appropriate, coordinate with relevant agencies and committees to secure additional funding/sales opportunities where possible
- Advocate and participate with relevant trade groups and industry associations
- Represent SpiderOak at industry functions in the Washington, DC area and globally as necessary
- Identify and take on ad-hoc strategic projects - everything from defining new opportunities to executing key initiatives
- Support all functions of business development, proposals, marketing, and engagement in “startup style” as required
- Excellent written and oral communications are required
- Background in Space Cyber is preferred
This position is a hybrid role, with some days worked in-person in our office in Washington D.C. and some days you will have the ability to work remotely.
What You’ll Bring
- 5+ years of service in a government agency
- At least 1 year of experience on Capitol Hill
- Professional experience in cybersecurity
- Demonstrated resilience: the one defining characteristic of people who thrive at SpiderOak is attitude around risk and uncertainty… we embrace change.
- Since this role is located in DC area with office in Northern Virginia, the candidate must already live there or be willing to relocate
**This position's salary and title will be based on the candidate's experience.
What We Provide
SpiderOak Inc. and Mission Systems is a 100% remote-based working environment. Our culture is built on trust and flexibility. We believe our employees are the key to our success, and welcome new ideas and talents.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. In other words, we welcome you just as you are!
To learn more about SpiderOak Inc. and Mission Systems, visit our website at: https://spideroak.com/home/